Every child loves to climb and CityROCK is a fantastic place for them to do this and develop the correct climbing skills.
Any child over the age of 5 can climb at CityROCK once their parent or guardian has signed a Child Waiver on their behalf.
Children must be supervised by their parent or guardian at all times. We do not provide supervision.
Rules and Regulations
- No children under the age of 5 will be allowed to climb at CityROCK. No exceptions will be made.
- Kids 5-12: The Mayhem area is your only place to climb.
- No swinging from ropes, or monkeying around. This is not a jungle gym.
- No running or jumping. The trampoline place is in Midrand.
- No food or drinks on the mats please.
- Parents: You must have the proper Red Test Tag to belay.
- Minimum age for Red Top Rope Belay tag: 14.
- Minimum age for Black Lead Rope Belay tag: 16.
- Climbing shoes are to be worn at all times.
There are three climbing options for kids:
Bouldering – This is probably the easiest and least expensive way of getting into climbing. The climbing itself is not high, (between 2 and 4 metres) and therefore do not require a rope. If the kids get tired, they just jump off onto our soft foam mats. All you need is a pair of climbing shoes and a chalk bag. There is no need for a climbing partner and there are no skills or experience requirements.
Automatic belay wall – This is an all-time favourite with kids and a great introduction to High Climbing as you do not need experience or require a climbing partner. The rope is attached at the top of the wall (around 8 metres) to a braking system in the event of a fall, similar to a car seat belt, and will lower your child gently back down to the ground. A harness and shoes are required.
Top Rope Climbing – Here the child is able to climb if he has someone to do the necessary rope work for belaying (The person who will arrest a fall if the child falls). Parents are allowed to belay their child if they have passed the “Belay test” which will ensure that they have the necessary skills. The belay test is free of charge. Please enquire about this at the front desk.
Parents who are not climbing do not need to pay an entry fee but need to fill out a Waiver form. Please do this online from the comfort of your home prior to arriving at CityROCK in order to avoid long delays.