The following aspects will be assessed during the top rope test. Any questions or concerns must be raised to the examiner before the start of the test. No coaching may take place during test and examiners reserve the right to fail participants should their belying be deemed unsafe.
– Harness fits correctly and above hips.
– Waste belt double backed.
– Leg loops double backed.
– Harness not twisted.
– Carabiner attached to belay loop.
– Carabiner locked – squeeze test.
– Belay device attached to carabiner.
– Rope loaded correctly through belay device and carabiner.
– Correctly tie a double figure eight through the correct tie-in points.
– Stopper knot tied at end of figure eight.
– Knot tied close to harness.
– Take up of all excess slack before the start of the climb.
– Clear communication before climbing.
– Maintain a tight rope throughout the climb.
– Safe and controlled taking up of slack.
– Clean locking off the break end of the rope.
– Controlled swapping of hands on the break end of rope without letting go.
– Instant lock off when climber falls.
– Controlled lowering off of the climber.
– Ground anchors to be used in the event belayer is lighter than climber.
– Attached anchor to belay loop of harness.
– Use a separate carabiner to attach ground anchor.
– Checked that gate of carabiner is locked – squeeze test.
– Belayer positioned close to the climbing wall-
Upon completion of the test you will receive the following tag which must be worn at all times.