We have tweaked our systems to make sure your return to CityROCK is safe and to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
We are open to active paying members and day pass climbers to come and climb. If you would like to join us, please read the following very carefully. The better prepared you are the smoother your session will run.
- All climbers must be active (paying) CityROCK members or day pass customers.
- We are open 8 am to 9 pm Monday to Thursday, 9 am to 6 pm Friday to Sunday and public holidays.
- Booking is required in peak hours only. Peak times are weekday evenings, 6 pm to 8 pm. Each individual climber and observer must book a slot. Off peak times do not require bookings, you can just arrive.
- Day pass kids under 13 must book to come and climb on weekends, public holidays and school holidays. Member kids do not need to book.
- Session capacity is limited to prevent overcrowding the facility and work on a first come, first serve basis. If there is no booking available on our booking page for peak evenings and kids day pass sessions, those sessions are full.
- Cleaning will take place regularly and between sessions to keep everything sanitary!
- Well ventilated areas will reduce the risk of spreading the virus. All the gym fans will be on as a result, so please dress warmly.
- The upstairs fitness area is open.
- The yoga studio is open and works on a first come, first serve basis. Grab aa studio pass at front desk on arrival. Please bring your own yoga mat
- If your membership is frozen, you can reactivate now:
You need to:
- Book a climbing session online in your city for peak times.
- Book a climbing session for day pass kids under 13 if you are coming to climb on a weekend, public holiday or during school holidays.
- Complete a new waiver (online, before you arrive).
- Watch our preparation video.
- Verify your waiver with your government issued ID at front desk on your first visit.
- Members are to swipe in with your membership card (don’t forget to bring it!).
- Wear a mask at all times, even while climbing, and uphold the prescribed 1.5m social distancing guidelines. Shop for a mask with your favourite climbing brands here!
- If it’s been awhile, refresh yourself with our climbing safety rules and regulations.
Some other important info
Only liquid chalk will be allowed to reduce transmission of the virus as it has a high alcohol content and acts like a sanitiser. Get your hands on some liquid chalk now! You may use normal chalk on the highwalls but you have to start with liquid chalk and only chalk up when you are on the wall as needed. Chalk balls are preferred. Liquid chalk will only be allowed in the bouldering section.
You need to sanitise your hands before tying in to climb/belay/boulder and again after each route. Sanitiser will be made available to you throughout the gym.
Please be responsible and only visit CityROCK if you have no signs and symptoms and have not been in contact with anyone who has COVID-19. Please be responsible to keep our staff and fellow customers COVID free.
For first time adult climbers, Introductory courses are now available again and will be limited to 4 people per group, bookings required and available on Monday to Thursday evenings and on weekends. Gear rental will now be available again too. Rest assured rental gear will be sanitised and quarantined for 24 hours between uses.
In the fitness area, all equipment and cardio machines are open. Masks are compulsory and we ask that you wipe down your machine and weights after use with the supplied cleaning equipment.
We know you are now a lockdown yoga pro, but nothing beats that in person guidance and space our lovely teachers create. Check out our studio schedule and arrive early to get your spot and avoid disappointment! Please bring your own yoga mats and dress warmly for class as the studio will be well ventilated to keep you Covid free.
Masks and regular sanitising will remain standard for these areas as per the rest of our facility.
Frequently asked questions:
1. I'm ready to go back to the gym! How do I reactivate my account?
2. I'm not ready to return to the gym, what do I need to do to freeze my account?
3. What access will I have during my reservation?
You will be allowed to access the top rope and lead climbing areas, bouldering, auto belays and kids area.
In the fitness area, all training equipment is open and we ask that you wipe down your machine and weights after use with the supplied cleaning equipment.
The studio classes are running again. Check out our studio schedule. Please bring your own yoga mats and dress warmly for class as the studio will be well ventilated to keep you Covid free.
4. Am I supposed to wear a mask while climbing?
Yes. We know this isn’t an easy ask of you all, but we’ve made this decision to prioritise the health of our team members and community. Studies show that airborne droplets are the primary driver for spreading COVID-19, so to minimize the risk of the spread of COVID-19, the CDC recommends wearing a mask.
5. Can I reserve a time for multiple members at the same time?
Yes you may. booking is only required for studio classes, intro courses and peak climbing sessions. Each person you reserve a space for must be a current member. Remember to add each person individually per slot. We are tallying the total number of people in the facility at a given time for social distancing purposes and therefore each person must have a reservation. You will be required to provide the person’s name, surname, contact number and email address. It is essential to add each person as slots are limited and if their name does not appear in a given reservation period, they will not be allowed access.
6. Do I make a reservation for myself if I am observing my child?
Yes, everyone in the gym must have a reservation even if you are not climbing. A non-member parent / guardian can make a reservation as long as they are only supervising. Bookings are only required during peak times, these are Monday to Thursday 6 pm to 9 pm, for both members and day pass customers.
7. Can we bring friends/family to the gym to observe?
Yes you may bring friends and family to observe. bookings will be required for observers in peak weekday evenings so we can maintain capacity regulations. Everyone visiting CityROCK will be required to sign a waiver whether participating or observing.
8. Must coaches also book a slot to coach their kids?
Yes, all coaches must have a reservation even if you are not climbing.
9. Can I drop in?
Currently, we only allow drop ins in off peak times. Reservations for peak times can be booked online anytime up until the start time of the reservation provided there is space.
10. I have made a booking but need to cancel, how do I do this?
When you make a booking you will receive an email confirmation. You can use this same confirmation email to cancel or reschedule your booking. Please click on either the Reschedule or Cancel tab which are found on the bottom right of your confirmation email.
Alternatively, you may contact CityROCK and cancel the session over the phone.
11. Are you taking cash payments?
We won’t be accepting cash payments for now. We are only accepting cards and EFT’s at this time.
12. Is the cardio and free weight area open?
This upstairs training area is open but limited in capacity. All training and cardio equipment is open and we ask that you wipe down your machine and weights after use with the supplied cleaning equipment.
13. Is the yoga studio open and when are the classes?
Our yoga studio is open. We know you are now a lockdown yoga pro, but nothing beats that in person guidance and space our lovely teachers create. Check out our studio schedule and arrive early to get your spot. Attendance is on a first come – first serve basis, simply grab a studio pass at front desk. Please bring your own yoga mats and dress warmly for class as the studio will be well ventilated to keep you Covid free.
14. Are rentals available?
Gear rental is available again. Rest assured rental gear will be sanitised and quarantined for 24 hours between uses. We encourage all our members to bring their own climbing equipment and liquid chalk.
15. Why can’t I use loose chalk?
Our understanding of how COVID-19 spreads is constantly evolving, but airborne transmission is believed to be the primary way the virus is spread. By eliminating loose chalk, we are trying to limit airborne dust. Liquid chalk contains alcohol and limits dust. Liquid chalk will be available for purchase.
16. Will you be serving food and coffee and can we sit down and eat?
Coffee and snacks are back! The Cliffhanger Cafe will be open for freshly cooked takeaway meals Tuesday to Thursday evenings from 5 pm to 8 pm.
The sitting area is a mask-free zone so you can enjoy your caffeine fix and delicious Cliffhanger Cafe meal before or after your climb. 2-meter social distancing will be required in the mask-free area and limited to 20min time allowance so we can share the limited space equally.
17. Can we shower at the gym?
Our showers are open again, but please bring your own towel.
18. Can we book courses and kids parties?
Yes, introductory adult courses and kids birthday parties are available again. Bookings are required and more information can be found on our getting started page for courses and kids birthday party page.
19. How often do surfaces get cleaned and sterilised at CityROCK?
Communal areas, bathrooms and surfaces are cleaned between every climbing session. SANITECH staff have been trained on the proper cleaning procedure and have been provided the appropriate disinfecting and cleaning products to combat the spread of COVID-19.
20. How is CityROCK open under current regulations?
Sport Climbing has been approved as a non-contact sport by the Minister of Sports, Art and Culture. Under level 3, all fitness centres and gym business are permitted to resume operations as well.
21. How long will these policies last?
Great question and we hear you – these changes and guidelines are not permanent. As we continue to move toward our new normal, we will be guided by and comply with government regulations and we will keep members updated via the member newsletter, social media and our website.