New climbers and belayers: you must pass our compulsory Top Rope Belay test. Upon completion of the test you will receive an Orange Top Belay Test tag which must be displayed on your harness at all times. Note: We only use the Grigri belay device for all Top Rope climbing. If you are not familiar with the Grigri we do offer a 10 minute refresher.
The video will take you through our Top Rope Belay Test. If you do not know what we are talking about in the video you will need to take our Introduction Course.
Below is the checklist that you will be tested on:
SAFETY CHECK FOR CLIMBER AND BELAYER
– Harness fits correctly and above hips.
– Waist belt and leg loops fitted snugly and double backed if applicable.
– Harness not twisted.
– Carabiner attached to belay loop.
– Carabiner locked – squeeze test.
– Grigri belay device attached to carabiner.
– Correctly tie a double figure eight through the correct tie-in points.
– Stopper knot tied at end of figure eight.
– Knot tied close to harness.
– Buddy check.
– Clear communication before climbing.
– Take up of all excess slack before the start of the climb.
– Maintain a tight rope throughout the climb.
– Safe and controlled taking up of slack.
– Clean locking off the brake end of the rope.
– Controlled swapping of hands on the brake end of rope without letting go.
– Instant lock off when climber falls.
– Controlled lowering of the climber with Grigri lever and hand on the brake end of the rope.
– Belayer positioned close to the climbing wall.
– Constant visual communication between belayer and climber.
– Ground anchors to be used in the event belayer is lighter than climber.