We have been working hard behind the scenes to get the gym ready for your return. We have tweaked our systems to make sure your return to CityROCK is safe and to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19. Read on to see how you can return to climbing with us!
We are open to active paying members to come and climb. If you would like to join us, please read the following very carefully. The better prepared you are the smoother your session will run.
- All climbers must be active (paying) CityROCK members (your climbing partner too!). No day pass sales will be available initially.
- We’ll be running on a booking session basis, with 2 hour slots. Each individual climber must book a slot.
- Cleaning will take place between sessions to keep everything sanitary! For this reason, there is a 30-minute gap between sessions and slots cannot be extended, so please don’t be late or stay longer.
- Session capacity is limited to prevent overcrowding the facility and bookings are limited to two slots per member per week and work on a first come, first serve basis.
- Well ventilated areas will reduce the risk of spreading the virus. All the gym fans will be on as a result, so please dress warmly.
- The upstairs gym and yoga studio will remain closed.
- If your membership is frozen, you can reactivate now:
You need to:
- Book a 2 hour session online in your city:
Book to climb in Johannesburg
Book to climb in Cape Town
- Complete a new waiver (online, before you arrive).
- Watch our preparation video.
- Verify your waiver with your government issued ID at front desk on your first visit.
- Swipe in with your membership card (don’t forget to bring it!).
- Wear a mask at all times, even while climbing, and uphold the prescribed 1.5m social distancing guidelines. Shop for a mask with your favourite climbing brands here!
- Bring your own climbing gear, no gear rental will be available initially.
- Please arrive on time and exit swiftly at the end of your session so we can clean and prepare the facility for the next session.
- You will need to leave the facility at the end of your session (sorry, no extensions).
- If it’s been awhile, refresh yourself with our climbing safety rules and regulations.
Only liquid chalk will be allowed to reduce transmission of the virus as it has a high alcohol content and acts like a sanitiser. Get your hands on some liquid chalk now!
You need to sanitise your hands before tying in to climb/belay/boulder and again after each route. Sanitiser will be made available to you throughout the gym.
Please be responsible and only visit CityROCK if you have no signs and symptoms and have not been in contact with anyone who has COVID-19. Please be responsible to keep our staff and fellow customers COVID free.
The upstairs gym and yoga studio will remain closed for now. Please follow your favourite yoga instructors online as some are offering virtual classes through their personal platforms.
Our CityROCK instructors are working behind the scenes to create online content for you to use as a replacement for our usual workshops. Check out our Youtube Playlist for some home workouts and guidance in getting back into climbing. Keep your eyes on social media for some CItyROCK Zoom classes that are coming up this month.
Frequently asked questions:
1. I'm ready to go back to the gym! How do I reactivate my account?
2. I'm not ready to return to the gym, what do I need to do to freeze my account?
3. What access will I have during my reservation?
You will be allowed to access the top rope and lead climbing areas, bouldering, auto belays and kids area. Each day has a select range of hold colours open so as to maintain social distancing (touching of holds) over the course of the week. Please ask CityROCK staff to inform you which colour grips you will be allowed to climb for the day or refer to the charts conveniently posted around the facility.
4. Why may I only climb specific colour routes on a specific day?
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19 we are limiting which holds can be climbed on a given day. The holds will be rotated on a 35 hour cycle which will help to reduce the spread by allowing the virus to die off naturally.
5. Am I supposed to wear a mask while climbing?
Yes. We know this isn’t an easy ask of you all, but we’ve made this decision to prioritise the health of our team members and community. Studies show that airborne droplets are the primary driver for spreading COVID-19, so to minimize the risk of the spread of COVID-19, the CDC recommends wearing a mask.
6. Can I reserve a time for multiple members at the same time?
Yes you may. Each person you reserve a space for must be a current member. Remember to add each person individually per slot. We are tallying the total number of people in the facility at a given time for social distancing purposes and therefore each person must have a reservation. You will be required to provide the person’s name, surname, contact number and email address. It is essential to add each person as slots are limited and if their name does not appear in a given reservation period, they will not be allowed access.
7. Do I make a reservation for myself if I am observing my child?
Yes, everyone in the gym must have a reservation even if you are not climbing. A non-member parent / guardian can make a reservation as long as they are only supervising.
8. Can we bring friends/family to the gym to observe?
At this point in time, we are would like to save reservations for those wanting to climb or work out. We hope in the near future we will be able to open up the reservations for your friends/family to come and observe.
9. Must coaches also book a slot to coach their kids?
Yes, all coaches must have a reservation even if you are not climbing.
10. Can I drop in?
Currently, we do not allow drop-ins. We can only guarantee access if you make a reservation. Reservations can be booked online anytime up until the start time of the reservation provided there is space. Stay tuned for an update as we will add a drop-in option if and when we are able!
11. I have made a booking but need to cancel, how do I do this?
When you make a booking you will receive an email confirmation. You can use this same confirmation email to cancel or reschedule your booking. Please click on either the Reschedule or Cancel tab which are found on the bottom right of your confirmation email.
Alternatively, you may contact CityROCK and cancel the session over the phone.
12. Are you taking cash payments?
We won’t be accepting cash payments for now. We are only accepting cards and EFT’s at this time.
13. Is the cardio and free weight area open?
This upstairs area is currently closed. Members will be notified when we intend to open our upstairs fitness training area.
14. Is the yoga studio open and when are the classes?
Our yoga studio is currently closed. We hope to open in the next few weeks to smaller classes. Please follow your favourite yoga instructors online as some are offering virtual classes through their personal platforms.
15. Are rentals available?
We are currently not offering equipment rentals. We encourage all our members to bring their own climbing equipment and liquid chalk.
16. Why can’t I use loose chalk?
Our understanding of how COVID-19 spreads is constantly evolving, but airborne transmission is believed to be the primary way the virus is spread. By eliminating loose chalk, we are trying to limit airborne dust. Liquid chalk contains alcohol and limits dust. Liquid chalk will be available for purchase.
17. Will you be serving food and coffee and can we sit down and eat?
We will not be serving sit down foods or coffees at this time. Takeaway food and cold drinks can be purchased from The Fussy Vegan in Johannesburg only.
18. Can we shower at the gym?
We have decided to close our showers until further notice. This is to prevent the spread of COVID-19 through airborne droplets and to reduce the number of individuals in our change rooms.
19. Can we book courses and kids parties?
We will not be offering courses or children’s parties at this time.
20. How often do surfaces get cleaned and sterilised at CityROCK?
Communal areas, bathrooms and surfaces are cleaned between every climbing session. SANITECH staff have been trained on the proper cleaning procedure and have been provided the appropriate disinfecting and cleaning products to combat the spread of COVID-19.
21. How is CityROCK open under current regulations?
Sport Climbing has been approved as a non-contact sport by the Minister of Sports, Art and Culture.
22. How long will these policies last?
Great question and we hear you – these changes and guidelines are not permanent. As we continue to move toward our new normal, we will be guided by and comply with government regulations and we will keep members updated via the member newsletter, social media and our website.