CityROCK Testing and other Agreements
First Time Safety Orientation:
Adults or parents bringing their children in for the first time cannot be expected to know what to do safely and/or ‘supervise’ their children if they do not understand what that entails. Watching your child and supervising your child are two different things.
To avoid miscommunication and conflict, staff to follow the steps below:
- Set expectations with adult and/or parent and child: First timers are only allowed to auto-belay and boulder. Kids aged 12 or younger are restricted to the kids auto-belays and kids bouldering section only and are to be supervised by parents at all times.
- Before the parent(s) pay to enter, make it clear that they will be fully responsible for the kid(s), i.e. they will be checking their harnesses, spotting them on the kid’s bouldering wall and clipping them into auto-belays. Rule: Parents must be in arms reach of their child at all times while at CityROCK.
- Adults/Parent and kid(s) will need to complete the standard safety orientation briefing.
- Families with kids aged 5 to 13 will need to make bookings over the weekends, public holidays and school holidays. If they arrive without a booking, we will accommodate them if there is space only.
- Customers must be informed that there is a 1 adult to 3 novice ratio. Kids under the age of 12 is 1 adult to 2 kids ratio and kids aged 5-6 is a 1 adult to 1 kid ratio.
Safety orientation briefing (10 minutes+):
- Adults must watch the bouldering safety demonstration video.
- Parents and child must watch the kids safety demonstration video before the child will be allowed to use the climbing walls.
- Show the adult/parent how to fit the harness on themselves and/or kid(s). To avoid grievances, we refrain from touching kids, parents must assist their own child so they can refit harnesses after bathroom visits.
- Show adult/parent where to clip in auto-belay and how-to safety check that the clip has locked.
Show the adult/parent the bouldering walls and how the grading works. Show the neutral grey down climb holds and encourage them to down climb rather than jump
Novice Supervision agreement
This will need to be completed under the following circumstances:
- Parents/coaches supervising kids that are not their own kids and do not have an orange (top rope) or green (lead) CR tag
- Kids tags still count as novices
- Adults bringing in a friend of any age that has not done our intro course (didn’t book and there is no course about to start) and also have not passed our top rope or lead test
- The supervisor must have passed our top rope/lead test to be a supervisor and they accept full responsibility for the novice in our facility.
- Both the Supervisor and the novice need to complete the waiver together at front desk and you can verify it on the back end. They do not need to complete it again if they are the same pair, but if the supervisor brings a different novice they will need to complete it again.
Yellow kids bouldering band
- Ages 9-13
- Must have completed the kids level 2 course to get a yellow bouldering band (ages 9-13)
- Must be under constant supervision by an adult
- Parent/coach to sign kids bouldering agreement