Below is the checklist that you will be tested on:
SAFETY CHECK FOR CLIMBER AND BELAYER
– Harness fits correctly and above hips.
– Waist belt and leg loops fitted snugly and double backed if applicable.
– Harness not twisted.
– Carabiner attached to belay loop.
– Carabiner locked – squeeze test.
– Grigri belay device attached to carabiner.
– Correctly tie a double figure eight through the correct tie-in points.
– Stopper knot tied at end of figure eight.
– Knot tied close to harness.
– Buddy check.
– Clear communication before climbing.
– Take up of all excess slack before the start of the climb.
– Maintain a tight rope throughout the climb.
– Safe and controlled taking up of slack.
– Clean locking off the brake end of the rope.
– Controlled swapping of hands on the brake end of rope without letting go.
– Instant lock off when climber falls.
– Controlled lowering of the climber with Grigri lever and hand on the brake end of the rope.
– Belayer positioned close to the climbing wall.
– Constant visual communication between belayer and climber.
– Ground anchors to be used in the event belayer is lighter than climber.
YELLOW TAG: KIDS’ TOP ROPE CLIMBING AND BELAY
This tag indicates that a child under the age of 14 has passed a top rope belay test, and is allowed to belay children their own weight in the Mayhem area. Children with this tag are also allowed to climb on the high walls, but only when belayed by an adult. They may also make use of the adults bouldering section but under the supervision of a parent, guardian or coach at all time. Bouldering is inherently more dangerous so we encourage spotting of climbers, and kids are not to play or walk under other climbers. Please watch our bouldering safety video for more info. In order to be tested for this tag, the child must either:
a) have completed one of our CityROCK kids courses
b) been trained one-on-one by one of our coaches
While inside our facility, regardless of climbing ability, all children under 14 must be supervised by a parent, guardian or coach.