Children love to climb and CityROCK is a place for them to have fun and to develop fine muscle control, gain a sense of achievement and body awareness and for those who take it more seriously, to develop the correct climbing skills.
Any child over the age of 5 can climb at CityROCK once their parent or guardian has signed a child waiver on their behalf. For children under 18 years of age, the waiver must be signed by a parent or legal guardian*. If the parent or guardian will not be present, please bring a photocopy of the adult’s government-issued ID or Drivers licence for verification. *Please note: legal guardians must present proof of guardianship to sign a child’s waiver.
Children must be supervised by their parent or guardian at all times. We do not provide supervision.
Children are natural climbers who love to explore and discover new activities. CityROCK is a climbing gym and safety is our number one priority. Our gym was not designed for children and as such, special care needs to be taken when using our facilities. Please follow the rules below to ensure a fun and safe visit for you and our other users.
- The parent or legal guardian must sign a minor waiver for each child entering CityROCK. CityROCK reserves the right to verify that the details provided are correct. If the parent or guardian will not be present, please bring a photocopy of the adult’s government-issued ID or Drivers licence for verification. Legal guardians must present proof of guardianship to sign a child’s waiver.
- Children must be 5 years or older to climb.
- Parent and kid(s) will need to complete the standard safety orientation briefing on their first visit.
- Groups larger than 6 kids should email the branch they are visiting to make a booking.
- Children aged 5 to 12 are only allowed to climb in the children’s area.
- Children under 16 must be under constant adult supervision, regardless of their climbing ability. Supervision rules:
- Adult supervisors must have the appropriate lead or top rope tag to supervise a child who is lead or top rope belaying.
Kids under 5 year olds:
- No climbing
- 1 child per adult
- Must be within arm’s reach at all times, unless secured in a baby holder, in which case they must be within sight.
Kids between 5 and 12 years old:
- Can only climb in the children’s area
- 2 children per adult.
- If one sibling is younger than 5yrs – separate adult supervision required
- Must be within sight when not climbing, regardless of tag or ability
- Must be within arm’s reach when bouldering and spotted
- Must be watched and checked when attaching to auto – belays
Kids between 13 and 16 years old:
- Can climb anywhere in the gym
- 3 children per adult
- Must be within sight when not climbing
- Under 18yrs who want to belay must be in possession of a belay tag.
- Kids under 13 may not climb in the adult bouldering section
CityROCK offers kids courses and coaching which will provide them with the necessary skills to climb safely. After completion of these courses, kids will have the opportunity to be tested and obtain kids climbing tags allowing them access to the adult high climbing and bouldering sections.
Parents who are not climbing do not need to pay an entry fee but need to fill out a waiver form. Please do this online, from the comfort of your home, prior to arriving at CityROCK in order to avoid long delays.
If your kid is a climbing superstar, we have a variety of kids courses and coaching programmes to take their climbing to the next level. Climbing is an internationally recognised sport with provincial, national, international and Olympic competitions.
While inside our facility, regardless of climbing ability, all children under 16 years old must be supervised by a parent, guardian or coach.